I just came home from a hard day’s work today and really really didn’t feel like doing any cooking and desperately wanted to order in. Alas, I remembered that I was looking to save money so it was either frozen fish sticks & french fries or get cooking. Damn.
Alas, the recipe I found was pretty easy – the hardest part being breaking up the cauliflower into little pieces. And it was pretty quick – the longest part was the 20 minutes simmering the cauliflower until it was tender. The initial recipe I used had too much cumin and spice for my taste and not enough vegetables. So I modified it to my taste.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
2-3 tsp minced garlic
1 large head of cauliflower, broken into small pieces
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt & pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth
4 slices prosciutto
1/2 tsp olive oil
1- 1.5 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
1) Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots & garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
2) Add in cauliflower, cumin, thyme, crushed red pepper, salt & pepper. Saute for 1 minute.
3) Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low, cover & let simmer for 20-25 minutes until cauliflower is tender.
4) While soup is cook, add 1/2 tsp of olive oil to pan & cook prosciutto until crisp. Place between two paper towels to drain.
5) Once cauliflower is tender, stir in milk & cheese to soup. Use hand blender and blend until smooth.
6) Crush prosciutto over soup. Serve hot.
*Adapted from this recipe.