This post is just a reminder about how to make the stuffing I made this year which was a big hit with those who actually ate it (which was only half of the people at dinner).
1 tbsp butter
1 lb ground sausage
1/3 cup of butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
4-5 white button mushrooms, chopped
4 tbsp cup of chopped parsley (I just used the kind in the tube)
1 loaf of bread, torn into cubes (I don’t like to use premade or dried bread cubes)
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1.5-2 cups chicken broth
2 eggs beaten
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In large saucepan, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Cook ground sausage until brown, breaking up pieces. Drain & set aside. Clean saucepan.
3) Melt 1/3 cup of butter over medium heat. Cook onions, celery, mushrooms & parsley until softened, about 5 mins.
4) Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix together bread cubes with poultry seasoning, oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram, salt & black pepper. Spoon sausage & cooked vegetables over bread cubes & mix.
5) Pour broth, 1/2 cup at a time over bread cubes until thoroughly moistened. Mix in eggs.
6) Transfer to casserole dish and bake uncovered for 45mins.
*Adapted from this recipe.